304 pages; published April 2010
Written in alternating chapters, two suburban Chicago high schoolers – both named Will Grayson – are just trying to figure things out. Evanston Will Grayson is trying to understand why he has ended up with Tiny Cooper – alarmingly huge and fabulously gay – as a best friend. Naperville Will Grayson is just sort of disgusted with everyone and afraid to admit that he’s gay. When they meet by chance, everyone is surprised at where they’re headed next.
Meet Will Grayson from Evanston, Illinois. He recently went from having a Group of Friends to only 1 real friend after publicly defending his huge, gay (and hugely gay) friend in a letter to the editor. Which he now kind of regrets signing. Meet Will Grayson from Naperville, Illinois. He’s kind of angry and surly and really doesn’t want anyone to know he’s gay. So, he mostly avoids everybody, except Isaac, who he knows only through online chats.
Now – Will Grayson, meet Will Grayson. A series of strange circumstances (none of them what you’d think) have led them to the same adult shop in Chicago where they first encounter one another, then find themselves caught up in parallel quests for love and the production of the biggest, gayest high school musical ever to hit Chicago.
Awards/Honors (source: Goodreads.com)
- Romantic Times (RT) Reviewers’ Choice Award Nominee for Best Young Adult Novel (2010)
- Odyssey Award for Excellence in Audiobook Production Honor Book (2011)
- Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Young Adult Fiction (2010)
- Children’s Choice Book Award for Teen Choice Book of the Year (2011)
- YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults (2011)
- Stonewall Award Honor Book (2011)
- Abraham Lincoln Award: Illinois’ High School Readers’ Choice Award Nominee (2013)